Nancy Hanks Award for Professional Excellence
This award, carrying a $1,000 stipend, honors a museum professional with less than ten years experience in the museum field.
It recognizes a specific achievement that has benefited either the honoree’s home institution or the museum field in general.
Must be submitted by the nominee’s director or by a trustee if the nominee is a director. Individuals cannot self-nominate.
A complete nomination packet includes:
- Cover sheet with nominee and nominator contact information
- Justification for receiving the Nancy Hanks award
- Description of scope of institution and its collection, programs and services
- Description of the nominee’s position and responsibilities
- Narrative describing the outstanding contribution to the institution or museum field and its impact
- The nominee's curriculum vitae and sample copies of work that support the nomination as well as a bibliography of published work
Email the application to email@example.com or mail to:
American Alliance of Museums
Attn: Nancy Hanks Memorial Award
1575 Eye St., NW Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005
First given in 1985, the award commemorates the late Nancy Hanks' lifelong support of cultural endeavors, and in particular her encouragement of young professionals. Hanks served eight years as chair of the National Endowment of the Arts, among other accomplishments. Museums of all types and sizes are encouraged to nominate a candidate.