Advocacy Alert: June 25, 2009
Has Your Representative Signed On to the Museum Letter in Congress?
Dear Colleague Letter Deadline Approaching—Members of Congress Must Sign on by June 30!
Last week we shared the news that Representatives Paul Tonko (N.Y.-21) and Louise Slaughter (N.Y.-28) are circulating a "Dear Colleague" letter in the House of Representatives encouraging members of Congress to join their letter to the House Appropriations Committee urging $50 million for the Office of Museum Services (OMS) at the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). As of today, 10 legislators have officially signed on to the OMS Dear Colleague letter.
Legislators Signed on to Museum Letter
- Congressman Paul Tonko (N.Y.-21)
- Congresswoman Louise Slaughter (N.Y.-28)
- Congressman Jim McGovern (Mass.-3)
- Congressman Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.-8)
- Congressman Dave Loebsack (Iowa-2)
- Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (N.Y.-14)
- Congressman Joe Courtney (Conn.-2)
- Congressman Raul Grijalva (Ariz.-7)
- Congresswoman Yvette Clarke (N.Y.-11)
- Congressman Todd Russell Platts (Penn.-19)
The success of this Dear Colleague letter in gathering a significant number of supporters in Congress directly depends on how many members of Congress hear from the museum advocates they represent urging them to support $50 million for OMS. If you have already sent a letter or email to your Representative, thank you for your efforts. Now is the time to call your Representatives and make sure they have signed on to the letter before the June 30 deadline.
Use our system to look up contact information for your legislators. Just enter your zip-code and click on individual legislator's names to find Capitol and District phone numbers and key staff names.