Emerging Innovators Forum
Saturday, May 28, 10:00–12:00 p.m.
Location: AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo
In collaboration with the Committee on Museum Professional Training (COMPT) a Professional Network of the American Alliance of Museums.
Proposals are now being accepted for Emerging Innovators Forum, a showcase of museum projects and ideas at the 2016 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo. This program provides an opportunity for current graduate students or emerging professionals with less than five years working in the field to present on topics related to any area of museum practice. Presentations might focus on:
- Accessibility and inclusion topics
- Audience engagement, research or evaluation initiatives
- Collections related projects
- Curatorial practice
- Education or interpretation programs
- Exhibition design models or related exhibition interpretation panels
- Graphic and publication design projects
- Media projects (website, film, video, animation, games)
- Volunteer or docent management
- Other professional topics
What Is It?
Emerging Innovators Forum is an open “marketplace” where participants display or demonstrate their presentations on tabletops, display boards and/or corkboards. Participants are encouraged to engage attendees in informal discussion and/or activities related to the work being presented. Attendees are invited to visit project areas at their leisure.
Emerging Innovators selected will receive a complimentary copy of Eleven Museums, Eleven Directors: Conversations on Art and Leadership by Michael Shapiro.
After participating in this program, emerging innovators will be better able to:
- Showcase individual creativity and innovation
- Gain visibility and build professional presence in a public forum
- Present ideas that might inform new avenues of thinking about museum practice
- Receive invaluable feedback from colleagues in the field
- Build career development and networking opportunities
After participating in this program, attendees will be better able to:
- Exchange ideas and information that may inform future museum practice
- Explore innovative ideas that may be replicated in a range of museum settings
- Network with emerging museum talent
Guidelines for Submission of Proposals:
Before submitting a proposal, be sure you (and any co-presenters) have an updated AAM profile. Create or update your profile here.
- Please complete the application form and submit it by March 25, 2016.
- Participation in this program will be based on vetting by Alliance staff and COMPT leadership in order to ensure that participant projects and represent a range of topic areas (exhibits, education, media, etc.)
- Participants will be accepted on a space-available basis. Notifications will be sent April 1, 2016.
- Participants in this program must be registered for the conference, and are not considered “presenters” for registration purposes.
- This program is not intended for independent contractors promoting products or services.
If you have any questions about this program or your proposal, please contact Greg Stevens, firstname.lastname@example.org.