Museum Career Lab
Saturday, Nov. 16
8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
Join Alliance professional development staff and local museum colleagues in New York City for a full day of career development and networking. Designed to help mid-career and emerging museum colleagues with job search skills and career planning, Museum Career Lab consists of:
- Structured workshops on networking, personal branding, writing cover letters and resumes, and interviewing
- Informal Colleague Conversations with invited local museum professionals from a range of backgrounds
- Opportunities for networking through group activities, discussion, lunch and breaks.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for emerging and mid-career museum professionals, or those transitioning into the museum field.
How Will I Benefit?
After participating in this program, attendees will be better able to:
- Gain or build practical effective communication tools and job search skills
- Foster relationships among local colleagues, groups, institutions and the Alliance
(Subject to change)
|8:30 a.m. |
|Check-in, Coffee, Tea and Networking |
|9 a.m. |
|Welcome: Networking for You and the Field |
|9:30 a.m |
Workshop 1: Powering Up Your Personal Brand
|10:15 a.m. |
|10:30 a.m. |
|Workshop 2: Crafting Your Cover Letter |
|11:30 a.m. |
Workshop 3: Your Resume at a Glance
|12:15 p.m. |
- Small Group Conversations (Topics TBD)
- Small Group Resume Lab (Limited spaces, sign up)
|1:15 p.m. |
Concurrent Colleague Conversations with Invited Guests and Resume Review Labs (Limited spaces, sign up) |
|2:45 p.m. |
|3 p.m. |
|Workshop 4: (Re)Crafting Your Resume |
|4:15 p.m. |
|Workshop 5: Interviewing Tips from Both Sides |
|5:15 p.m. |
Program Closing and Evaluation
|5:45 p.m. |
|Informal Networking (TBD, offsite) |
- Greg Stevens, assistant director, professional development, American Alliance of Museums, Washington, DC
- Sheri Levinsky Raskin, assistant vice president, education, Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, New York
- Invited local museum colleagues
You will receive a registration confirmation email within 24 hours.
For more program-related information, contact Greg Stevens.
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
One Intrepid Square
Pier 86, West 46th St. and 12th Ave.
New York, NY 10036-4103
(877) 957-7447 or (212) 245-0072
Founded in 1982, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is the only museum where visitors can experience a legendary aircraft carrier, the first space shuttle, the world’s fastest jets, and a Cold War-era submarine. As a showcase for sea, air and space innovation—and the stories of human triumph that they represent, Intrepid fulfills its mission to honor our heroes, educate the public, and inspire our youth by engaging visitors of all ages and connecting them to history through hands-on exploration while bridging the future by inspiring innovation.
Cancellation requests for Alliance professional development programs must be received in writing no later than one week prior to the event date to receive a full refund of your registration fees. Refund requests will not be accepted after that date. The Alliance reserves the right to cancel any program at any time, for any reason. In the event of a program cancellation by the Alliance, attendees will receive a full refund of their registration fees. For face-to-face programs, the Alliance is not responsible for any travel or hotel expenses incurred as a result of your participation or cancellation of an event.