Continuum of Excellence
What is the Continuum of Excellence?
The Continuum is a pathway of standards-based programs from AAM and other organizations that nurtures a culture of excellence. It supports, motivates and recognizes your museum’s ongoing commitment to professionalism, standards and best practices.
Why Strive for Excellence?
Commit to a culture of excellence your museum will:
- Be a stronger asset for its community
- Demonstrate it is worthy of support and public trust
- Ensure sound stewardship of its collections
- Enhance funding opportunities
- Raise the quality of its operations
- Improve staff and board skills
- Distinguish itself among peers
The Continuum of Excellence helps your museum get there. Whether taking the first step in its professional journey or already accredited, your museum can benefit from the Continuum of Excellence.
How Does the Continuum Help?
- It’s Flexible: There are a variety of program options to fit your institution’s goals and available time and resources. You choose the program that’s right for your museum and decide if and when to move to the next step.
- It’s Accessible: Programs are open to museums of all sizes and types. You’ll find multiple entry points so you can choose the program that works best for your museum.
- It’s Efficient: The various levels of assessment, feedback and recognition build on one another. Cooperative partnerships with other organizations reduce the time and steps needed to become accredited.
- It Offers Recognition: Your museum gets national recognition for each step it takes, enhancing its credibility, exposure, community standing and positioning for funding.
- It Provides Standards Education and Resources: Learn about standards and best practices, and benchmark your museum against them through sample documents, online training, peer experts, self-assessment and third-party vetting processes.
The Alliance’s institutional membership is your museum’s first step on the Continuum of Excellence. As a member you and your staff gain access to resources that your museum needs to excel, including: standards and best practices, online learning opportunities and informative publications. The Alliance embraces all museums from “A to Z,” art museums to zoos and everything in between. Three membership tiers, beginning with a “pay what you can” option, allow you to self-select your ideal level of benefits.
Show your museum’s commitment to ethics, standards and best practices by taking the Pledge online or by email.
“My museum pledges that, in fulfillment of its educational mission, it will strive to operate according to national standards and best practices to the best of its abilities and in accordance with its resources.”
The Pledge is an easy and achievable step along your museum’s path to excellence. Showcase your museum’s commitment to the field by joining a public list of museums whose staff and leadership have pledged to strive to operate according to field-wide standards and best practices.
Benchmark your museum’s practices to standards and strengthen operations through self-assessment and expert peer consultation.
The Museum Assessment Program (MAP) is a powerful tool designed to support your museum at any point along the Continuum of Excellence. Through a one-year process of self-assessment, institutional activities and consultative peer review, your museum emerges with an analysis of its strengths, weaknesses and opportunities; and a prioritized roadmap for improving operations and meeting standards.
Engage your staff and board in a one-year accreditation readiness program.
The Academy is a guided online experience that combines live sessions, mentoring and collaborative activities for board and staff. When you finish, your museum’s will have its Core Documents ready to be verified, have a stronger culture of excellence and be poised to apply for Accreditation.
Receive recognition and validation that your museum’s mission and core policies meet standards for professional museums.
Build on your museum’s accomplishments with a document review program that verifies that your institution’s educational mission, strategic plan, emergency plan, code of ethics, and collections management policy meet the standards for professional museums. Use Core Documents Verification as a launching pad for accreditation, as part of the implementation of MAP recommendations or for third-party vetting of documents created as part of earning StEPs certificates.
Earn recognition for your museum’s commitment to, and demonstration of, the professional standards for education, public service and collections care.
As the museum field’s mark of distinction, accreditation offers high profile, peer-based validation of your museum’s operations and impact. Accreditation increases your museum’s credibility and value to funders, policy makers, community and peers. Accreditation is a powerful tool to leverage change and helps facilitate loans between institutions. The recently streamlined process maintains the same high standards while significantly reducing the time needed for completion.
For more than 40 years, the Accreditation Program has been recognized as the “gold standard” of museum excellence. With its mix of self-assessment, peer review and public recognition, AAM Accreditation helps to ensure the integrity and accessibility of museum collections, reinforce the education and public service roles of museums and promote good governance practices and ethical behavior.
Step 1: Join the Alliance today. Complete a membership enrollment form at aam-us.org/join to begin receiving benefits immediately, including a free PDF copy of National Standards and Best Practices for U.S. Museums.
Step 2: Access online resources. The Alliance website (aam-us.org) has free resources on ethics, standards and best practices, and an Excellence Diagnostic Tool to help you determine which program is right for your museum. Sample documents are available to Tier 3 members.
Step 3: Start a conversation with your staff and board. Make a commitment; set a goal. The Alliance has resources to help you every step of the way.