The Accreditation Commission is an independent and autonomous body, responsible for all decisions regarding accredited status. The group meets 3 times per year and is made up of museum professionals who whose experience and expertise represent the spectrum of the museum field and the Accreditation Program. Commissioners are senior museum professionals—usually directors of accredited museums—with significant experience in all areas of museum management and operations.
The chair of the Alliance Board appoints all commissioners, who volunteer for five-year terms (up to three terms).
Listed with terms of service:
- Burt Logan, executive director and CEO, Ohio Historical Society, Columbus (Chair, 2012–2015)
- William Eiland, director, Georgia Museum of Art, Athens (2009–2014; Vice Chair, 2012–2014)
- Andrew Masich, president and CEO, Senator John Heinz History Center, Pittsburgh (2004–2010; 2010–2013, 2013–2015)
- Patricia Murphy, executive director, Oberlin Heritage Center, Oberlin, Ohio (2009–2014)
- Terrie Rouse, chief operating officer, National Center for Civil and Human Rights, Atlanta (2009–2014)
- Bonnie Styles, director, Illinois State Museum, Springfield (2007–2013, 2013–2016; Chair, 2009–2012)
- Mary Sue Sweeney Price, director emeritus, The Newark Museum, N.J.(2008–2013, 2013–2016)