In order to apply, your museum must have taken the Pledge of Excellence. During the application process, you will be asked to:
- Log in. If you and/or your museum does not already have a user account, you will be required to create one first.
- Provide basic contact and profile information about your institution. Any information previously provided to the Alliance will appear here. Please confirm it is correct or update/fill in as needed.
- Upload your Core Documents and provide their respective approval dates.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions for participating in this program.
- Provide payment information (credit card only) and submit the application form. You will be provided with an Order Confirmation form that serves as your receipt.
- When in the application form you can return to the previous step or jump ahead to the next one using the buttons on the bottom of each page.
- Do not use your browser’s back/forwards buttons.
- You must upload at least one file for each core document; you may upload more than one if applicable. Acceptable document formats include Word (.doc/docx), Excel (.xls/xlsx.) PowerPoint (.ppt/pptx), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and PDF (.pdf).
- We suggest converting PowerPoints into PDFs to reduce the file size.
- If you change your mind or find you are not ready to submit the application, you can cancel and exit the application process at any time. However, you cannot save your work.
The Alliance staff will begin reviewing your institution’s application and documents once payment has been received and processed. Staff will contact you if information or documents need to be replaced, added or changed based on the results of their review.
The museum gets a decision on whether the museum’s documents passed the Core Documents Verification process.
The museum informs the Alliance of any changes to its documents and reaffirms its eligibility every five years. This step is not required for Accredited museums, as the document review is part of reaccreditation.