The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Alliance (LGBTQ Alliance) of the American Alliance of Museums provides a forum for communication and dialogue and is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and inquiry with particular respect to sexual orientation and gender identity within museums.
The LGBTQ Alliance facilitates transgender, queer, gay, lesbian and bisexual visibility by promoting and enhancing awareness, understanding and acceptance regarding museum-related LGBTQ issues. Its focus includes both internal needs and opportunities including staff, leadership and organizational structure, and external, stakeholder-related work ranging from visitor amenities and messaging to programs and collections. The network serves as a visible and accessible safe space for museum professionals who identify as LGBTQ or allies. We welcome AAM members of all sexual orientations and gender identities and encourage involvement across the organization in promoting museums that include LGBTQ voices at every level.
W. James Burns
Desert Caballeros Western Museum, Wickenburg, Arizona
Steering Committee Members
- Jill Austin, curator, Chicago History Museum
- Erin Bailey, commissioner, Seattle LGBT Commission
- David Blackburn, chief of cultural resources and programs, NPS, Lowell, Massachusetts
- Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, curator of exhibitions, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, New York City
- Sarah Cohn, evaluation and research coordinator, Science Center of Minnesota, Saint Paul
- Justin Estoque, executive vice president and deputy director, The Autry National Center, Los Angeles
- Daniel Forbes, Sheehan Gallery, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington
- Elissa Frankle, social media strategist and community manager, U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Washington, D.C.
- Paul Gabriel, Independent Museum Professional
- Annette Gavigan, exhibits registrar, California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco
- Jason Hall, curator, Battleship New Jersey Museum Memorial, Camden, New Jersey
- Paul Hammond, director, California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento
- Jada Hansen, Independent Museum Professional
- Tim Hecox, exhibit developer, Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, Portland
- Joe Heimlich, Ph.D., professor and specialist, Center of Science and Industry, Ohio State University, Columbus
- Joel Hoffman, executive director, Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, Miami
- John Jackson, exhibition designer, Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, Missouri
- Julie Johnson, Ph.D., program director, National Science Foundation, Arlington, Virginia
- Jerry Kajpust, deputy director for external relations, Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art, New York City
- Christopher Leitch, Independent Museum Professional
- Mike Lesperance, principal, The Design Minds, Fairfax, Virginia
- Hunter O’Hanian, director, Leslie Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art, New York City
- Randy Roberts, Ph.D., assistant director, Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, UC Davis, California
- Davin James Sokup, Independent Museum Professional
- John Suau, executive director, The Historical Society of Washington D.C.
- Matthew Toland, assistant director, The Campbell Center for Historic Preservation, Mount Carroll, Illinois
- Renae Youngs, Independent Museum Professional