Museum Professional Networks Connecting and Collaborating during COVID-19
As all of us continue to grapple with the changing landscape during the current pandemic, the Professional Network Council of the American Alliance of Museums (AAM) remains focused on helping members of the museum community. Specifically, in a time when so many of us are struggling, we seek to provide connections with people and resources that can support all of us now and as we move through this period of unimaginable transition.
Upcoming programs hosted by individual Professional Networks (PN’s) and messages are shared weekly here. Check often for updates.
For those who are able to participate in virtual events, we look forward to connecting with you. For everyone, please do not hesitate to reach out to members of any of the Professional Networks. We are here for you.
Members of the Professional Network Council
Joining Professional Networks, a benefit of AAM Individual Professional Membership is a great way for museum professionals to connect with each other, learn about topics of interest within the museum field, and help the wider field advance through the programming and content of the networks. Learn how to join a Professional Network today.
Table of Contents
(Click any topic to jump ahead)
Professional Network Upcoming Programs
Environment and Climate || Navigating the Issues of Air Filtration for Your Museum
Monday, November 23, 3:00-4:00 PM (EDT)
The Webinar will feature Dr. Peter DeCarlo of the Johns Hopkins University who will speak about the nature of aerosols;
Todd Garing of Mueller/Associates who will discuss HVAC systems being employed; and Jeremy Linden who will relate how these systems can impact your collections.
Mark Keen, Co-Chair of AAM Environment and Climate Network will host the event. As Museums look to provide a safe environment for their visitors and workers, they are faced with options that oftentimes will have a significant impact on their budget and operations. Some of those systems may also have a negative impact on collections. Our goal with this talk is to discuss how aerosols work, the various systems that are available, their potential impact to your energy usage, and help with understanding the questions you need to ask as you work with your consultants on these issues. Furthermore, given the potential negative impact we hope underscore the importance of having representatives at the table who can speak to safeguarding your collections.
Weekly Professional Network News and Updates
EdCom: Education Professional Network
EdCom’s Museum Distance Learning Repository
Have you seen the new ‘Repository of Distance Learning’? One of EdCom’s recent projects, it is where you can find programs and resources from museums across the country in a searchable database. With children and learners everywhere out of school for the foreseeable future, museums across the continent have come together to share their distance learning with you.
Explore this resource and submit additions too.
Independent Museum Professionals Network
IMPN currently is recruiting steering committee members. Interested in helping to lead this dynamic group of independent museum professionals? Please complete our candidate form here.
Join us every Thursday, at 3 pm EST, for our Queer Coffee Break Series, where we explore local and international LGBTQIA+ history through bite-sized videos—perfect for your afternoon coffee or tea break! Videos are posted weekly on our Facebook page.
If you are interested in contributing for this or other series, please contact us at email@example.com!
AAM (American Alliance of Museums) Calendar of Events
AAM Blog: Museums and Equity in Times of Crisis
AASLH (American Association for State and Local History) Resources
ASTC (Association of Science and Technology Centers) Resources
VSA (Visitor Studies Association) COVID-19 Programs & Resources
- Coronavirus Support Group Chats: Fridays, 2-2:30 pm ET. These free chats allow for informal discussion on a range of topics. Now open to everyone. All resources shared through these discussions are also saved here.
- Coronavirus Support for Out-of-Work Evaluators: Wednesday, April 15, 4:00 pm ET. The Professional Development Working Group is hosting a special web convening to support visitor studies professionals currently out of work due to COVID-19. Open to VSA members and non-members.
- Visitor Studies Journal and Web Chats Archive: VSA members have complimentary access to the journal archives through Taylor & Francis as well as our past web chat recordings, including those on useful evaluation tools, culturally responsive evaluation practices, and more.
- Committee on Audience Research and Evaluation (CARE)
- Collections Stewardship
- Curators Committee (CurCom)
- Development and Membership (DAM)
- Diversity Committee (DivCom)
- Education Committee (EdCom)
- Environment and Climate Network
- Historic Houses and Sites Network
- Independent Museum Professionals Network
- Indigenous Peoples Museum Network
- Latino Network
- Leadership and Management
- LGBTQ+ Alliance
- Media & Technology
- Museum Studies Network
- National Association for Museum Exhibitions (NAME)
- Public Relations and Marketing Network (PRAM)
- Security Network
- Small Museum Administrators Committee (SMAC)
- Traveling Exhibitions Network