Preparing for closures or re-closures
If a museum should need to close (or re-close), whether due to staff illness or a significant outbreak in its geographical area, workers should be prepared to take the following steps:
- Develop comprehensive communications plans to inform the public about the closure
- Ensure that collections are in stable condition to withstand being left alone for days
- Ensure a policy is in place so that environmental and other conditions are suitable and stable on an ongoing basis
- The Alliance blog shares Earth Day during COVID-19: Green Tips for Closed Museums which includes a list of ways to revisit operational assumptions about museums’ carbon implications.
- National Heritage Responders’ Sheltering Collections in Place guide is a short list of things museums and other heritage sites can do to protect collections prior to and during closing.