Issue: Elementary and Secondary Education
Museums are vital education providers, educating students, providing professional development to teachers, and helping teach local curricula, which is especially critical during the COVID-19 pandemic. Museums represent one of the only educational system outside of our formal framework with the knowledge and people power to back up our teachers and parents on the front lines. Reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (the “Every Student Succeeds Act”) provides states with significantly more flexibility in setting and meeting performance targets, which could make it easier for schools to work with museums.
- We support efforts to promote school-museum partnerships (including museum schools), require greater collaboration between the U.S. Department of Education and the Institute of Museum and Library Services, fully fund federal education programs in which museums participate, and fully implement the “well-rounded education” provisions in the Every Student Succeeds Act, which include the many subject areas in which museums help teach the curricula.
Supporting Letters and Testimony
- Nearly 800 Organizations Support Labor, Health and Human Services (HHS), and Education FY18 Appropriations
- AAM, AAMD Comment to Department of Education on Proposed “Well-Rounded Education” Regulations
- More than 660 Organizations Support Labor, Health and Human Services (HHS), and Education FY17 Appropriations
- Letter supporting Arts Education in Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Reauthorization
- Letter supporting 21st Century Community Learning Centers Program in ESEA Reauthorization
- CEF Responds to House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s FY15 Budget Proposal
- 1,065 Organizations Support Labor, Health and Human Services (HHS), and Education FY15 Appropriations
- December 2013 CEF Letter on Omnibus/Balanced Budget Act
- October 2013 CEF Letter to Budget Conferees
- Committee for Education Funding (CEF) FY14 Education Funding Letter
- 922 Organizations Support Labor, Health and Human Services (HHS), and Education FY14 Appropriations