Awards for Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion
2022 AAM Awards Update: To maximize reach, engagement, impact, and learning for the museum field—as well as the celebration of our inspiring award winners—AAM awards programs are currently under review and temporarily on hold. This will likely result in a shift of award submission deadlines, previously set to align around the AAM Annual Meeting & Museum Expo. We look forward to sharing more information later in 2022 through our website and member communications.
Launched in 2016, the American Alliance of Museums’ Awards for Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion honor and celebrate individuals, organizations, and programs advancing the museum field in these areas, both internally through workplace culture, programs, and policies and externally through engagement with museum audiences and communities.
One award for individuals and one award for organizations may be presented each year to those who have accomplished the following in the workplace, the community, and/or the museum field:
- Demonstrated sustained support for advancing diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion
- Raised awareness of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion, and/or
- Served as a catalyst for change in the areas of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion
One award may also be presented for a single program or policy in any area of a museum’s structure (administration, collections management, community engagement, curation, development, exhibitions, education, human resources, public relations, registration, etc.) that advances diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
The award for individuals includes a $1,000 stipend to be used in support of the honoree’s professional development. It is typically presented at the AAM Annual Meeting.
Submit a nomination today to honor the individuals, organizations, and programs advancing this important work in the field!
Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Individual nominees may work for or with museums in any capacity, including museum studies programs, consultants, etc.
- Organizational nominees may include museums, museum service organizations, affiliate organizations, ally organizations, related collectives, consultant organizations, etc.
- Individuals and organizations may self-nominate
- Nominees from countries other than the US are encouraged; award is not limited to US museums or individuals
Submit a Nomination
Acceptance of award nominations is expected to resume later this year. Please follow our e-newsletter Aviso and/or our Social Media channels for updates.
Our 2020 awards’ recipients will be announced during our 2021 AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo’s virtual program. Learn more about #AAM2021.
Organization: Shedd Aquarium
Program: New-York Historical Society, The Citizenship Project
Individual: Joanne Jones-Rizzi
Organization: Smithsonian Latino Center
Organization: Missouri History Museum
Program: The Field Museum, “Field for All”