Eligibility and Requirements
Non-profit museums of any size and discipline are eligible to participate. To apply, museums must:
- Have been open to the public for at least two years.
- The primary institution in each country must be a museum or cultural center/institution that functions in the capacity of a museum. In essence, this means that both institutions must have collections or exhibitions, or they must use/interpret objects and/or a site (e.g. a historical site) for the public presentation of regularly scheduled programs and exhibits.
- Have the institutional and financial capacity to complete the activities and create the outputs described in their proposal.
Previous recipients of a Museums Connect or Museums & Community Collaborations Abroad award may reapply if:
- Two cycles have elapsed since the previous award (e.g., 2012 awardees are next eligible to apply for the 2015 cycle).
- The proposed project is new and innovative rather than a continuation of the previous project.
- The proposal features a new museum partner. Museums may not reapply with previous partners.
- Projects must engage museums' targeted communities as active participants rather than passive audiences. Museums Connect does not fund construction projects or projects focused primarily on staff/institutional development or capacity building, staff-to-staff exchange, traditional exhibit design or object exchange, or artist residencies.
- Projects must include travel between participating countries.
- Awards require a 50% cost-share match by the U.S. and non-U.S. museums together. This cost share can be made up of any combination of direct expenses (e.g., salaries and benefits, materials, supplies), indirect expenses if the U.S. museum has a federally negotiated rate and funds received from non-federal sources.
- U.S. and non-U.S. awardees must comply with federal grant requirements and submit quarterly and final narrative and financial reports.
Full eligibility guidelines and requirements can be found in the Museums Connect proposal packet.