I share a lot of resources, links and information here on the Blog. There is even more good stuff compiled in the Alliance’s newly rechristened Resource Library (which used to be called “Professional Resources”).
The Resource Library is an Alliance member benefit, but here’s your chance for a free peek : For this week only (Oct. 28–Nov. 3) the Alliance will pull back the curtain giving free access to 2,000 how-to guides, articles and tools about museum operations, standards and best practices.
Browse as much as you want during the trial week and if you want to keep mining the Library, join the Alliance and access this resource 365 days a year. We are continually adding to our digital shelves, so there will always be new materials to check out.
Here are a few of the Library materials related to trends and issues that CFM covers:
- Apropos of getting a job in the museum of the future, there is a section devoted to Career Management Resources.
- The future of repatriation, both legal issues and societal attitudes, is an important issue for museum foresight. The section on Cultural Property provide a solid grounding on current standards, laws and regulations on which to base your futures-thinking.
- The US faces a future in which museums serve an aging population, with associated challenges to mobility, perception and mental acuity. In addition, an ever-greater number of Americans cope with physical or cognitive disabilities. The section on Accessibilitycovers a range of topics, including universal design, addressing the needs of kids with autism, visitors with visual impairment, and other populations with specific needs regarding accessibility.
- If your museum is still feeling its way into the world of Twitter, Facebook, Vine, Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr and (well, you get the idea) check out the section on Social Media and Online Communications.
- And if you and your organization find it necessary to adapt to your rapidly changing environment (that would be almost everyone, yes?) you may find help and guidance in the section on Change Management. That includes material on mergers and consolidations, museum closures, changes in leadership as well as general advice on leading museums through major transitions.
Use the comments sections below to let us know if there are topics you don’t see addressed in the Library you would like to see addressed with new resources. Happy browsing!