Museums Advocacy Day
February 26-27, 2024
At Museums Advocacy Day 2024 and throughout the year, you have the power to help create lasting change that can sustain museums and museum jobs into the future. Stakes will be high this coming election year and we must continue to share our data and stories if we are to secure continued and future support for museums from Congress.
Join us in Washington, D.C. for Museums Advocacy Day 2024, or plan to participate in our collective movement by using our Advocate from Anywhere resources!
Sign up for updates on Museums Advocacy Day, including when the schedule is available.
About Museums Advocacy Day:
Museums Advocacy Day is a unique opportunity to join with fellow museum professionals and supporters to speak up for museums.
For 15 years, Museums Advocacy Day has been providing the essential training and support advocates need to meet effectively with members of Congress and their staff. Museums Advocacy Day is a unique opportunity to unite with museum colleagues and supporters from across the country as one voice to reaffirm our essential value, collective contributions, and aspirations while making the critical case for museums directly to Congress.
Together as a field, we’ve defeated several threats to eliminate federal agencies supporting museums and helped secure billions of dollars in financial relief that enabled many museums to survive and saved thousands of museum jobs. As museums across the country continue to recover and serve their communities in powerful ways, we must keep making our case to Congress. Legislators do not know how their decisions affect museums if they don’t hear directly from you—the museums and people they represent. The skills, resources, information, and insights you’ll gain as a participant will help sustain your museum’s future and the future of the field, while building life-long skills you can use throughout your career.
Why participate in Museums Advocacy Day:
We must make the case for museums.
- Lawmakers need to hear from you loud and clear the urgent and continued need for economic assistance for museums, and how you and your museum have been impacted by the pandemic and serving your community in unique and critical ways. Museums Advocacy Day harnesses our collective energy when we join together to make the case to legislators that museums are essential.
Constituents are the best advocates.
- As a constituent, you are in the best position to create lasting change. Constituent visits and interactions have a greater influence on legislators than any other group or strategy. It’s up to each of us to make the case for museums to Congress and tell the story of why museums are essential in our communities. Your constituency is your advocacy super-power.
Museums Advocacy Day is inspiring, energizing and impactful.
- Unite with museum colleagues and supporters from across the country as one voice by connecting with lawmakers to reaffirm our value, collective contributions, and aspirations. Get the information and insights you need to effectively speak up for museums. Join us for Museums Advocacy Day and be a part of our collective movement.
Museums Advocacy Day is a unique opportunity.
- Network with peers from your region, hear from federal agency and nonprofit leaders and build your own professional and leadership skills. Learn advocacy strategies and techniques you can use on Capitol Hill, during virtual visits, with your city council and state legislators, with local and regional funders, and to advocate for yourself throughout your career.
Each year the robust Program is updated to educate and inspire both new and returning advocates.
- Get timely, insider information from policy leaders and the tools and information you need to be a successful advocate for museums on Capitol Hill. Whether you are a new or seasoned advocate, you will get all the preparation you need to effectively make the case for museums – virtually, on Capitol Hill, and with your state and local elected officials.
Become an Organizational Supporter
Museums Advocacy Day would not be possible without broad, field-wide support. See the 2023 Supporters.
Empower Advocates to Raise Their Voices
You can make an individual donation to the cause today.
Ways to Advocate Today
- Access AAM Advocacy Resources
- Invite Congress to Visit Your Museum, including our quick video on 6 Reasons to Participate in Invite Congress
- Stay informed with Alliance Advocacy Alerts
Museums Advocacy Day Videos
Share inspiration from past Museums Advocacy Day attendees.
- Using Our Voice to Speak Up for Museums
- Telling Our Powerful Stories
- Working Together Toward a Common Goal
There are many additional ways you can advocate for museums during Museums Advocacy Day and throughout the year: