Museum Assessment Program (MAP)
Special Opportunity for Previous MAP Participants!
Has your museum completed a Museum Assessment Program (MAP) assessment during the years 2012-2018?
Would you like an all-expenses paid follow up visit with your original Peer Reviewer? Find out more, but don’t delay – the application deadline is March 2, 2020!
Since its inception in 1981, the Museum Assessment Program (MAP) has helped more than 5,000 small and mid-sized museums of all types strengthen operations, plan for the future, and meet standards.
Through a one-year process of self-assessment, institutional activities, and consultative peer review with a site visit and recommendations, your museum emerges with:
- Greater alignment of activities, mission, and resources
- Analysis of its strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities
- Prioritized roadmap for improving operations and meeting standards
- Practices benchmarked to standards
- Enhanced credibility with potential funders and donors
- Improved communications between staff, board, and other constituents
- Expert advice, recommendations, and resources
- Increased capacity for strategic planning
- Preparation for core document verification, accreditation or reaccreditation
MAP offers five different assessments to choose from:
- Collections Stewardship
- Education & Interpretation
- Community & Audience Engagement
- Board Leadership
MAP is supported through a cooperative agreement between the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the American Alliance of Museums.