Get Involved With AAM
The American Alliance of Museums’ network of dedicated members contribute their expertise and ideas in a variety of ways to strengthen our field and develop their own skills and connections. Here are some of the many ways we invite you to get involved with AAM!
Connect and Learn
- Become an AAM member—Members receive valuable benefits and resources that can help you be a more effective museum professional.
- Attend the Annual Meeting—The Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo is your opportunity to explore the many ways museums serve as hubs of community activation and learning.
- Attend Museums Advocacy Day—Museums Advocacy Day is your chance to share your views with policymakers on Capitol Hill—and hone your skills to make the case at the state and local level—that museums are essential.
- Join the conversation on Museum Junction—Engage with others with similar jobs or interests, learn from your peers, get feedback and answers, share your expertise, offer your knowledge and experiences to help others resolve challenges.
- Submit an idea for a blog post—If you have a great idea or topic you’re interested in, we welcome contributions from anyone with a profound interest in museums.
- Share (or help us create!) new resources—We are always looking for great resources to share with the field. Share toolkits, sample documents, etc. that can be used as models, or contact us with ideas for what you’d like to help develop!
- Submit an Annual Meeting session proposal— In submitting a proposal you are contributing to advancing the professional development and enrichment of your colleagues.
- Aviso: Our members-only weekly newsletter, Aviso, provides late-breaking news and federal legislation affecting museums, upcoming seminars and workshops, federal grant deadlines, and Alliance activities and services. Become a member.
- Dispatches from the Future of Museums: a weekly digest of curated clippings for museum futurists, highlighting trends that are likely to remake our culture and society in the decades ahead, tools and technology that can help museums embrace the future, and examples of museum innovation in action. Subscribe.
- Field Notes: a weekly newsletter packed with stories and insights for museum people. A great way to keep up with the Alliance blog, stories are authored by museum professionals around the world. Subscribe.
- Become a Peer Reviewer—Gain professional development and the opportunity to give back to the field. With each site visit you interact with fellow professionals and learn how another museum is meeting its challenges.
- Become an Accreditation Commissioner—If you have significant senior leadership experience and are committed to advancing museums and the field through the Accreditation Program and Continuum of Excellence, nominate yourself to become an Accreditation Commissioner.
- Become an AAM Board Member—If you or someone you know has experience and expertise to help advance the Alliance’s Strategic Plan and can demonstrate service to AAM, museums or an allied field and you have an active individual Alliance membership, fill out a nomination form.
- Find Opportunities—Create your volunteer profile and explore more volunteer opportunities on Museum Junction. Find the perfect opportunity to make a positive impact.
- Advocate—Nothing has a more powerful impact on members of Congress than hearing directly from constituents like you. There are many ways you can help make the case for museums.
- Donate—Invest in the future of museums! Support AAM and make an impact in your community, and our nation, with a gift today.