Museums of all kinds are critical educational, cultural, and scientific institutions in our society, but the value of our work is not always fully understood. The American Alliance of Museums helps museums tell the stories of their important activities and contributions and promotes a deeper understanding of museums with policymakers, the press, and the public.
Ways to Advocate Today
- Your voice matters. Members of Congress carefully consider input from their constituents when making policy decisions and casting votes. See recent calls-to-action and stay up-to-date on opportunities to weigh-in with your federal legislators.
- The Alliance closely monitors a variety of legislative and policy issues that affect museums. See our Issue Briefs, testimony and related materials on key issues affecting museums, including funding for grantmaking federal agencies, tax incentives for charitable giving and education policy.
- This is a critical and valuable time to let your federal legislators know about the work you are doing in the community and the ways you can be a resource to them. Start with our template and personalize to share additional information about your work or your museum. It takes just a few clicks to make that first important contact.
- Museums Advocacy Day, Feb. 25-26 in Washington, D.C., is a unique opportunity to join with other museum professionals and supporters to make the case for museums. A new Congress has convened, facing an enormous list of timely policy debates, including support for museums. Together as a field we’ve defeated several threats to eliminate or de-fund federal agencies supporting museums, but we must keep making our case.
- The Alliance offers a wide variety of resources for building your own advocacy skills, learning about Congress, making your case effectively, and getting involved advocacy for museums.
Stand for your Mission: Engage Your Board in Advocacy
Download our report and discussion guide on how your museum and trustees can be more effective at integrating advocacy into the work of your board. Download your copy of Stand for Your Mission now.