Advocate from Anywhere
You don’t have to be in Washington, D.C. to make the case for museums. Your voice matters. Use the advocacy tools below to join the cause and Speak Up for Museums during Museums Advocacy Day and throughout the year.
Take Action: Contact Congress
- Throughout the year Congress considers many legislative issues affecting museums. Our template messages make communicating with your legislators easy. The templates include key issue information. You personalize and send messages to your legislators with just a few clicks.
Invite Your Legislators to Meet Locally
- We’ve made it easy to engage with your legislators locally with our step-by-step guide. Now you can make the case without traveling all the way to Washington, D.C.
Download and Share Critical Data
- Did you know that the total economic contribution of museums in 2016 amounted to more than $50 billion in GDP, 726,200 jobs, and $12 billion in taxes to local, state, and federal governments? Get the full, free report and download the your state’s infographic.
- National public opinion polling shows that Americans overwhelmingly appreciate and recognize the work of museums as educational and economic assets to their communities. Even more, Americans broadly support federal funding of museums and approve of lawmakers who take action to support them. The data speaks clearly, Americans value the museums in their communities.
Speak Up for Museums on Social Media
- Use #museumsadvocacy and #museumsadvocacy2019 to join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter. Share our posts and tweets and your own photos and stories.
- Post positive comments about your interaction with legislators, and don’t forget to “Like” and “Follow” your legislators (our directory listings include Facebook, Twitter and YouTube information for legislators).
- Check out the updated Advocate Materials and share the updated Museums Facts Infographic and Issue Briefs.
- See our Museums Advocacy Day 2019 Social Media Information to find posts, links and images you can use on your own feeds.
Build Your Advocacy Skills
We offer a deep bench of advocacy resources and tools to make it easy for you to join the cause and make the case for your museum and the cause of museums, no matter your current position or advocacy experience level. Get started today.
- Find your legislators.
- Learn more about getting to know your legislators.
- Get ideas for year-round advocacy.
- Learn about the Policy Issues.
Maximize Your Efforts: Updated Publicity Tools
- Use our publicity tools (Press Release, Education Op Ed and Economic Op Ed) to raise the visibility of your museum and your advocacy efforts in your local press. These pieces can be used by Museums Advocacy Day participants and those advocating from home. Each item can be customized for your museum or organization.