Complete Your Economic Impact Statement
Now more than ever, legislators and funders need to know just how your museum impacts your community. You can start with a just few key pieces of data to personalize and complete our basic template. Then get creative – you can put the data on your museum or organization’s letterhead, add photos of visitors enjoying the museum, or add additional data that helps make the case about the value of your museum in your community.
Many museums and organizations have created an Economic Impact Statement for their museum or several museums they represent.
You can also use our template letter to share your museum’s economic impact with your members of Congress, with just a few clicks.
ECONOMIC IMPACT STATEMENT
name of institution
My museum employs _____ (#) people in our community.
My museum spends $ ____ annual budget each year on goods and services in our community.
My museum serves _____ (#) visitors each year, including % from out of town.
My museum serves _____ (#) schoolchildren each year through school visits to museums.
Admission fee: $ _____
On a national scale, museums are economic engines:
- Museums employ more than 400,000 Americans.
- Museums directly contribute $21 billion to the U.S. economy each year. They generate billions more through indirect spending by their visitors.
- 76% of all U.S. leisure travelers participate in cultural or heritage activities. These travelers—including visitors to museums—spend 60% more on average than other leisure travelers.
- The U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis has found that arts and cultural production constitute 4.2 percent of the nation’s entire economy, a $704 billion industry.
- The nonprofit arts and culture industry annually generates over $135 billion in economic activity, supports more than 4.1 million full-time jobs and returns over $22 billion in local, state and federal tax revenues.
- Museums and other cultural organizations return over five times as much in local, state, and federal tax revenue as they receive from all levels of government.