Participate in National Voter Registration Day on 9/25!
Did you know that AAM is one of more than 3,000 National Partners of National Voter Registration Day? This important initiative works to help ensure that no one misses the chance to vote because of lack of information about their voting or registration status, their polling place or how to register to vote. Museums and nonprofits can engage in a wide variety of non-partisan voter activities, and participating in National Voter Registration Day is an excellent opportunity to do so.
Three Ways to Participate in National Voter Registration Day (NVRD)
- Access and use the free Partner Tools. Find #NationalVoterRegistrationDay posters in multiple languages, kits and guides for holding your own event, the link to become a partner, electoral information for each state, communications materials, social media assets and Voter ID wallet cards for every state on the NVRD website.
- Spread the word and encourage your colleagues, visitors and followers to register or check their registration status. Follow and share posts and information from @NatlVoterRegDay. In the NVRD Communications Toolkit you can find sample posts and graphics for Facebook and Twitter, Instagram information and draft emails to encourage your own networks to participate.
- YES, museums and nonprofits CAN advocate! Learn more about what you can (and can’t) do. On our newly expanded and updated Nonprofit Voter Resources page, you can find easy-to-use information about what you and your staff can and cannot do, checklists for voter engagement and permissible activities, information on board engagement and engaging in ballot measures and much more. Also see our recent blog post that summarizes commonly asked questions about advocacy, lobbying and elections.
Don’t forget to use #NationalVoterRegistrationDay to join the conversation on social media! Here are some sample posts to get you started:
- Facebook: We join @American Alliance of Museums in celebrating democracy in America. We can make our voices heard and #SpeakUpforMuseums in this year’s midterm elections. Get voter registration information, details about voting in your state and learn more about National Voter Registration Day (9/25/2018): https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ #NationalVoterRegistrationDay
- Facebook: We join @American Alliance of Museums, one of over 3,000 national partners of @NatlVoterRegDay (9/25/2018), in supporting democracy and voting. Learn more about National Voter Registration Day, register to vote or find your polling place today: https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ #NationalVoterRegistrationDay
- Twitter: [Your museum/org] joins @AAMers in supporting #NationalVoterRegistrationDay on 9/25/2018. Find local events, get voter registration information, tools & materials, and learn more: https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ #NationalVoterRegistrationDay
- Twitter: I join @AAMers in celebrating democracy and encouraging voter registration! National Voter Registration Day 2018 is 9/25. Register to vote, get images and stats to share on social media and learn more: https://nationalvoterregistrationday.org/ #NationalVoterRegistrationDay
Does your museum participate in allowable election activities, such as serving as a polling place? Let us know about your voter engagement work. For more information about the Alliance’s advocacy for museums, please visit www.aam-us.org/advocacy.