AAM Letter of Support for AB 755 Museums: California Museums for All
- AAM supports the bill’s intent to create a California-based program that will offer individuals and families with Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards free or very low cost admission to museums and provide an administrative fee to support participation by California museums.
National, State and Local Museum Organizations Urge Congress to Provide Relief from Harmful Sequestration Cuts (2017)
- Museum organizations at the national, regional, state and local level joined 2,000 organizations of all types in urging Congress to increase these strict spending limits.
National Cultural and Arts Organizations Join in Presidential Transition Statement
- In September 2016, the Alliance joined over 60 national cultural and arts organizations in a Transition Strategy Statement, demonstrating to any new presidential administration how the arts can and should be included in broader policy priorities.
National, State and Local Museum Organizations Urge Congress to End Harmful Sequestration Cuts (2015)
- Museum organizations at the national, regional, state and local level joined 2,500 organizations of all types in urging Congress to increase these spending limits.
Alliance Joins Letter in Support of ISM (2015)
- On June 12, the Alliance joined several state and national associations of museums on a letter to Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner expressing concern at the proposed closure of the Illinois State Museum System.
- Also see the Alliance’s July 22 testimony in support of the ISM.
Museum Field Responds to House Budget (2014)
- Following the U.S. House of Representatives’ passage of a budget containing language that mischaracterizes museums and the federal agencies that support them, 66 national, regional and state museum associations joined the American Alliance of Museums in expressing concerns about the language and urging the House Budget Committee to reconsider this language. Read the letter.
Pennsylvania State Senate Advances Museum Funding; Incorporates Museum Standards (2014)
- On May 7, a Pennsylvania State Senate committee held a hearing on SB1070, the Pennsylvania Museum Preservation Act, a bill to provide $9.5 million in grants to museums each year, to be administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. One criteria for these awards will be participation in Alliance excellence programs, with the pledge of excellence required for eligibility in the first two years, after which an eligible museum will need to have its core documents approved. See the Alliance letter of support for the bill.
Federal Funding & Sequestration NDD Letter (October 2013)
Georgia Archives Letter to Governor Deal (September 2012)
Capitol Hill Briefings
The Alliance is pleased to announce a ground-breaking report on health-related programs at museums nationwide. A June 17, 2013 Capitol Hill briefing featured remarks from Cummer Museum and Gardens (Jacksonville, FL), Field Museum (Chicago, IL), Newark Museum (Newark, NJ), Please Touch Museum (Philadelphia, PA) and the Association of Art Museum Directors.