Calling all kindred spirits! Museums and the field of “creative aging” have a wonderful future together. As Aroha Fellow for Museums and Creative Aging for the next two years, I would like to explain clearly the intents of our initiative while inviting interested parties to contact me with ideas and suggestions along the path:
- Writing original posts and editing guest posts for the Alliance’s blogs;
- Guest editing an edition of Museum, the bimonthly members’ magazine;
- Organizing a national convening on museums and creative aging (November 2020);
- Presenting sessions at the 2020 and 2021 AAM annual meetings;
- Attending and speaking at other meetings and conferences when appropriate;
- And, finally, producing a capstone report that includes a collection of essays.
In your own museum planning, please consider these objectives and know that I will be very happy to speak on the topic of creative aging at your regional conferences. We have a limited budget for our work, but please do not underestimate our interest in working with colleagues throughout the nation when it comes to exploring the potentials we have to serve ever more effectively the needs of older adults!
Note: If you will be in New Orleans, please join me for a presentation and discussion on creative aging in the theatre of the Alliance Resource Center in MuseumExpo from 2:30–3 pm on May 21!
Aroha Fellow for Museums and Creative Aging
American Alliance of MuseumsSkip over related stories to continue reading article