Next week my colleagues and I at the Alliance will publish the second scenario in the set of future fictions that make up TrendsWatch 2018: The Planning Edition. This next installment, titled Fragmentation, explores a dystopian world shaped by economic inequality and data exploitation, in which underground activists fight for equity, privacy, and economic reform. It is woven from some of the anxieties shared by museum people when I asked, “What are your fears about the future?” (And may I just say, you guys have really gloomy imaginations.)
But before we go dark, I hope you will join me for a Tweet event revisiting our first scenario, “Our Bright Future”, an optimistic story of idealists and pragmatists working together to build a sustainable world. On Monday, August 13, from 12 to 4 pm ET I’ll be tweeting excerpts from this story to cheer us all up before taking a deep dive into darkness.
If you’d like to participate in this tweet event, you can:
- Follow CFM on Twitter @futureofmuseums
- Watch your Twitter feed between 12 and 4 pm ET on Monday, August 13
- Like” #BrightFuture tweets that you hope will be true in 2040
- Retweet #BrightFuture quotes with comments about what you think is likely, unlikely, or adding links to related stories
The scenarios of TrendsWatch 2018 are designed to help you discover how you can help build the future you want to live. So will be particularly interested to see your tweets in response to the questions I post towards the end of the event:
- To help create this future I might:
- To help create this future my organization might:
See you in the Twitterverse next week!