Monday, April 16, 2018 - Friday, June 15, 2018
This eight week course will deal with the physical care and preservation of your museum collections. This practical course will cover how collections age and deteriorate, handling collections, storage requirements, environmental considerations, housekeeping, and risk management.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Know the major causes of deterioration for museum objects and how to use that information to enhance long-term preservation.
- Know how to handle objects in the safest way.
- Know how to examine and document the condition of objects in your collections.
- Know how to display your collections in a way that prolongs their life.
- Know how to store and house your collections in the way that best preserves them.
- Understand the importance of environmental control for the preservation of your collections.
- Know the best ways to clean your museum.
- Know how to perform a risk assessment of your museum and use it to write a disaster plan.
The statements and opinions expressed by panelists, hosts, attendees, or other participants of this event are their own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of, nor are endorsed by, the American Alliance of Museums.