If you have an interest in writing on a timely topic for the museum field, we’d like to hear from you!
Typically, books are around 75,000 words (250 double-spaced pages). Books can be published as a monograph or a collection of articles with oversight by a book editor. Most authors take about 12-15 months after contract issuance to submit a manuscript.
Areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Audience Evaluation
- Careers and Continuing Education
- Collections Stewardship
- Development, Membership, and Fundraising
- Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, Inclusion
- Environmental Sustainability
- Exhibition Design, Planning, and Practices
- Financial Sustainability
- Marketing and Community Engagement
- Media and Technology
- Museology and History
- Visitor Services
- Volunteer Administration and Management
Some specific topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Race and Social Justice
- Digital Strategy/Readiness
- Health and Wellbeing
- Emotion and Empathy
- Creative Aging
- Financial Strategy and Practices
- Reconciliation and Reparative Practices
Book pitches are reviewed once a year. The book pitches submission deadline is: October 8, 2021
Make a quick pitch on your book proposal topic and general issues it will address here:
Within three weeks of the pitch submission deadline, AAM publication staff will review, select and notify submitters of those pitch ideas to be developed as a formal book proposal.
Submitters of selected book pitches will prepare a detailed proposal outline and submit within 4-6 weeks.
The AAM Editorial Review Committee, comprised of AAM staff and museum practitioners, will review book proposals in late November, and either they or the book publisher will follow up with decisions and details or additional questions.