If you have an interest in writing on a timely topic for the museum field, we’d like to hear from you!
Typically, books are around 75,000 words (250 double-spaced pages). Books can be published as a monograph or a collection of articles with oversight by a book editor. Most authors take about 12-15 months after contract issuance to submit a manuscript.
Currently (in 2021–2022) we are especially seeking manuscripts that address the following topics:
- Change Management
- Digital Strategy/Practices/Engagement
- Environmental Sustainability/Climate Change
- Financial Resilience
- Health and Wellbeing
- Racial Equity and Social Justice
- Social Value/Measurement/ Impact
- Workforce/Workplace Trends
Other topics and areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Audience Research and Evaluation
- Career Management/Development
- Collections Stewardship
- Curatorial Practice
- Exhibition Design/Planning/Practices
- Human Resources
- Media and Technology
- Museology and History
- Organizational Culture/Practices
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Visitor/Community Engagement
- Volunteer Administration/Management
Book pitches are reviewed once a year. The book pitches submission deadline is: October 8, 2021
Make a quick pitch on your book proposal topic and general issues it will address here:
Within four weeks of the pitch submission deadline, AAM publication staff will review, select and notify submitters of those pitch ideas to be developed as a formal book proposal.
Submitters of selected book pitches will prepare a detailed proposal outline and submit within 4-6 weeks.
The AAM Editorial Review Committee, comprised of AAM staff and museum practitioners, will review book proposals in early December, and either they or the book publisher will follow up with decisions and details or additional questions.