Board of Directors Nominations
A critical element to the success of the American Alliance of Museums in serving the field is ensuring the Board of Directors is composed of committed individuals that have the relevant skills and a wide range of perspectives to effectively lead the organization.
The Board Nominating Sub-Committee accepts nominations year-round.
The Committee is charged with:
- Actively pursuing candidates with skills and networks that align with the goals and priorities in the Alliance’s strategic plan and have previous board experience that would benefit AAM during the next 3-6 years, with special attention to: financial literacy (e.g., CPA, Chief Financial Officer), fundraising, strategic governance, the Alliance’s strategic focus areas (Financial Sustainability/Business modeling; PreK-12 education thought/policy leadership from education sector; Diversity, inclusion and accessibility), public policy and/or legal experience, strategic governance and international perspective.
- Ensuring that, through the nomination process, AAM is governed by a diverse Board of Directors, in accordance with the Alliance Diversity and Inclusion policy.
- Giving consideration to the diversity of the Alliance’s membership with regard to museum size and type, geographic location/reach, and job function.
The Sub-Committee actively recruits individuals who:
- Bring experience and expertise to help advance the Alliance’s Strategic Plan
- Ensure that AAM is governed by a diverse Board of Directors
- Demonstrate service to AAM, museums or an allied field
- Have an active individual Alliance membership
Board Member Role and Responsibilities
- Board Member At-Large Position Description
- At-Large Members are elected for a three-year term starting at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting
Process and Schedule for Class of 2019
|September 7, 2018||Class of 2019 nomination period closes|
|September – October 2018||Nominating Committee evaluates candidates and presents Board slate to Alliance Board Chair|
|November 2018||Chair approves slate and full Board ratifies|
|December 2018 – January 2019||All candidates notified|
|February 2019||Slate announced to Alliance membership|
|March 19, 2019||Deadline to submit nomination by petition|
|April–May 2019||Election results announced to membership|
2019 Board Nominating Sub-Committee
Douglas S. Jones, Chair of the Nominating Sub-Committee, Immediate Past Chair of the Board (2018-2020)
Director, Florida Museum of Natural History
Cinnamon Catlin-Legutko, At Large, Class of 2018-2021
Incoming Director, Illinois State Museum
Robert Davis, At Large, Class of 2019-2022
Museum Consultant, DRMD Strategies, LLC
Lisa Yun Lee, At Large, Class of 2017-2020
Director, National Public Housing Museum
Doug Stark, Tennis Hall of Fame
Jorge Zamanillo, At Large, Class of 2019-2022
Executive Director, History Miami Museum
Staff Liaison: Shelagh Grimshaw, Director Development