Board of Directors Nominations
A critical element to the success of the American Alliance of Museums in serving the field is ensuring the Board of Directors is composed of committed individuals that have the relevant skills and a wide range of perspectives to effectively lead the organization.
The Board Nominating Sub-Committee accepts nominations year-round.
The Committee is charged with:
- Actively pursuing candidates with skills and networks that align with the goals and priorities in the Alliance’s strategic plan and have previous board experience that would benefit AAM during the next 3-6 years, with special attention to: financial literacy (e.g. CPA, Chief Financial Officer), fundraising, business modeling, DEAI (diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion), and international perspective.
- Ensuring that, through the nomination process, AAM is governed by a diverse Board of Directors, in accordance with the Alliance Diversity and Inclusion policy.
- Giving consideration to the diversity of the Alliance’s membership with regard to museum size and type, geographic location/reach, and job function.
Download the AAM Board of Directors 2020 Nominee Personal Data Form and submit this form along with a high-resolution headshot, resume/cv and brief bio to the AAM Board Nominating Sub-Committee.
The Sub-Committee actively recruits individuals who:
- Bring experience and expertise to help advance the Alliance’s Strategic Plan
- Ensure that AAM is governed by a diverse Board of Directors
- Demonstrate service to AAM, museums or an allied field
- Have an active individual Alliance membership
Board Member Role and Responsibilities
- Board Member At-Large Position Description
- At-Large Members are elected for a three-year term starting at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting
Process and Schedule for Class of 2020
|October 31, 2019||Class of 2020 nomination period closes|
|November 2019 – January 2020||Nominating Sub-Committee evaluates candidates and presents Board slate to Alliance Board Governance and Nominating Committee|
|February 2020||Chair approves slate and full Board ratifies|
|March – April 2020||All candidates notified|
|May 2020||Slate announced to Alliance membership|
2019 Board Nominating Sub-Committee
Douglas S. Jones, Chair of the Nominating Sub-Committee, Immediate Past Chair of the Board (2018-2020)
Director, Florida Museum of Natural History
Cinnamon Catlin-Legutko, At Large, Class of 2018-2021
Incoming Director, Illinois State Museum
Robert Davis, At Large, Class of 2019-2022
President and CEO, America’s Black Holocaust Museum
Lisa Yun Lee, At Large, Class of 2017-2020
Director, National Public Housing Museum
Doug Stark, Director, Tennis Hall of Fame
Jorge Zamanillo, At Large, Class of 2019-2022
Executive Director, History Miami Museum
Staff Liaison: Shelagh Grimshaw, Director Development