MUSE Awards Criteria and Selection Process
To enter the MUSE Award competition, create one or more entries using our online application.
MUSE Award categories are based on the primary purpose of the program, regardless of the media in which it is executed. Although your entry might fit into more than one category, you must choose one category that best reflects your program. The MUSE Awards committee cannot recommend categories for your programs.
Depending on the award category, winners demonstrate outstanding achievement in one or more of the following areas:
- Content: including the quality of writing, script, narrative, editing, and research
- Image: the quality of video and/or still images with special attention to how objects are visualized
- Audio: the quality and innovative application of sound in a multimedia project
- Interface: the quality of the visitor or user’s experience with special attention to the ease of use and/or navigation
- Design: the visual appeal of graphic elements and the overall “look and feel”
- Accessibility: the compliance with universal design guidelines
- Innovative use of technology: the extent to which new directions are charted or old challenges are resolved by using technology in a new way
- Appropriate use of technology: the extent to which the selected technology is effective, given its defined audience, purpose, and context
- Overall appeal: including the success of connecting with a defined audience, and using narrative elements such as humor, drama, or mystery
How Entries are Judged
Jury committees are composed of professionals with expertise in media and technology programming, production and subject content. Current or former GLAM personnel, vendors of products and services to the GLAM community, and other individuals demonstrating domain expertise may serve as MUSE Award jurors. Persons having a personal or professional association with an award application may not serve on a jury judging that category.
How Winners are Notified
Finalists for awards are notified via email. Please note that the institution originating the program is notified even if a 3rd party submitted the application. It is the winning institution’s responsibility to notify project partners.
Awards of Gold, Silver, Bronze, or Honorable Mention honors in each award category are announced at the MUSE Awards ceremony and champagne reception at the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo.
If you receive an email that you have been listed as a finalist in an award category, within one week’s time you are required to:
- Confirm the accuracy of the submitted materials/information emailed to you, including entry number, entry title, category, producers (institution + external producer if applicable), primary contact(s) name and email
- Notify us of the name and contact information of an institutional representative who will claim the award at the awards ceremony. Institutions may designate a 3rd party to receive the award on their behalf.
- Notify us of attendance and display of winning program materials at the Winners showcase to be held before and after the MUSE Awards ceremony at the AAM Annual Meeting
Please Note: If you win multiple awards, please send a separate response for each, do not combine.
Promoting Your Award
Winners will be publicized on the AAM Media & Technology Professional Network website after the awards ceremony. Winners are encouraged to promote their awards. Acknowledgment of the Media & Technology Professional Network and AAM are appreciated.