Skip to content
Community Engagement Assessment Critical Issues Checklist
Mission & Planning
- Do staff and governing authority members have a clear, shared understanding of the museum’s mission?
- Is the mission one that the museum has the ability and resources to fulfill?
- Is the mission, vision, and planning of the museum oriented toward public service?
- If there is a current plan, is it being used to address the museum’s major challenges, and is it guiding the museum’s actions?
Audience, Attendance, Public Relations and Marketing
- Does the museum have a clear understanding of its target audience and of the competition for this audience?
- Is the museum making good use of its resources to promote goods and services?
- Does the museum have clear and appropriate goals for attendance?
- Does the museum have a marketing plan that effectively supports these goals?
- Does the museum clearly identify its target audience and take appropriate steps to serve its needs?
- Is the museum gathering information about its audience and visitors and using it to evaluate performance and guide its planning?
Content, Ideas, and Concepts
- Does the museum have a clear, mission-driven plan for the content it presents to its audience?
- Is the museum providing the best visitor experience it can given the scope of its resources?
- Is the museum creating a safe and accessible environment for visitors?
Exhibitions and Programs
- Are the educational goals of the museum clearly articulated and appropriate to its mission, audiences and resources?
- Do the exhibits and programs serve the needs of the museum’s audience?
- Does the museum have a clear understanding of its role in the community?
- Is the community active in and supportive of the museum?
- Does staff have a clear understanding of their jobs?
- Is staff training and performance directed at serving the needs of the museum’s audience and community?
- Is the museum in good financial health?
- Will its financial position and planning meet current and future needs?
- Are appropriate resources directed towards serving the museum’s audience and community as well as marketing and publicizing the museum’s services?