Resources for companies that serve museums
The American Alliance of Museums has compiled this guide to help Industry Members and companies navigate the broad impact of COVID-19 and the resulting economic crisis, and prepare for recovery (and reopenings!). Just like museums, the sector has been challenged to stay in business without predictable income and cash flow.
You are essential to the recovery of the field! Together we will emerge from the COVID-19 crisis connected and moving forward.
Here is a short list of some potential new or repurposed products and services that museums will need most prior to, during, and after reopening:
- Prior to reopening, many museums are developing virtual tours and are looking for digital solutions to help them design and promote them.
- During reopening, museums will be looking to implement traffic tracking, timed ticketing, infection control, and conducting research on what is working or not.
- After reopening, museums will be looking to rebuild audiences and implement new ways to tell their stories.
Companies can build their book of business with museums – providing expertise and informing museums about customized solutions – through the Alliance Museum Junction online community, the Upcoming Events page, and in the new COVID-19 category recently added to Museum Marketplace. If you’re looking for more ways to engage, scroll down to the last section on this page.
- A number of resources for small businesses are available through MARCUM and their Coronavirus resource center, including Paycheck Protection Program, SBA Loan Assistance, Business Interruption Claims, and the Main Street Lending Program.
- Deloitte posted a blog about The essence of resilient leadership: Business recovery from COVID-19 on business recovery for leaders.
- Financial relief programs for small businesses:
- GoFundMe provides Tips for small business to surmount the current crisis.
- Syracuse.com published a Guide to federal small business loans: 9 expert tips on coronavirus relief funds
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has a State-by-State Guide to Coronavirus Financial Assistance
- Fast Company has several relevant resources, including:
- Forbes lists several funding relief options for small businesses.
Management and operations
- This What Happens When We Return to the Workplace? article from Gensler has useful tips for eventually returning to the workplace.
- The International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) created a Pandemic Manual that covers a range of areas (staff, facilities, risk, food services) and helps facilities management professionals deal with safety and security before, during, and after a pandemic.
Scenario planning and future forecasting
- Elizabeth Merritt, from the Center for the Future of Museums, shares this downloadable PDF on Using Scenarios to Plan Your Museum COVID Response.
- McKinsey & Company’s article on Leadership in a crisis: Responding to the coronavirus outbreak and future challenges provides tips for leaders navigating uncertain times.
Centering Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion
- The Alliance has compiled a COVID-19 Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Resource List to support the field in building awareness and capacity while driving action towards equity and inclusion.
Engaging with the Alliance
AAM is here for your company as we navigate through this unprecedented time together. Click below for original resources, museum news, and ways to engage the field.
- For a broad range of resources applicable to museums and more, see our resources for the museum field
- Add your COVID-19 and reopening webinars for museums on our Upcoming Events page (submit this form)
- Join Museum Marketplace and highlight your COVID-19 and reopening expertise and offers – we recently added a new and complimentary COVID-19 category
- Engage, answer questions, and network with museums on the Alliance Museum Junction online community
- Connect and collaborate with AAM’s Professional Networks during COVID-19
- Read about how museums are navigating COVID-19 from the Alliance blog. Have a story to share? Submit your ideas here
- Renew or join AAM. Industry Members receive discounts and stay abreast of museum news
- Attend AAM Virtual May 18 & June 1-4 to network and watch sessions. Learn about the challenges currently facing museums to inform your solutions
- Urge congress to provide economic relief and address the impact of COVID-19. Email us for advocacy alerts that help you contact your legislators and send a unified message
- Broaden your audience with advertising and/or sponsorship year-round
Questions? Contact CorporatePartnerships@aam-us.org.