Resources for companies that serve museums
The American Alliance of Museums has compiled this guide to help Industry Members and companies navigate the broad impact of COVID-19 and the resulting economic crisis, and prepare for recovery (and reopenings!). Just like museums, the sector has been challenged to stay in business without predictable income and cash flow.
You are essential to the recovery of the field. Together we will emerge from the COVID-19 crisis connected and moving forward.
Here is a short list of some potential new or repurposed products and services that museums will need most prior to, during, and after reopening:
- Prior to reopening, many museums are developing virtual tours and using digital solutions to help them design and promote them.
- During reopening, museums are tracking visitor traffic, using timed ticketing, implementing infection control, and adapting to current conditions
- After reopening, museums are looking to rebuild audiences and seeking new ways to tell stories
Companies can connect with museums – providing expertise and informing museums about customized solutions that address COVID-19 and reopening – by participating in the Annual Meeting & Museum Expo, through the Alliance Museum Junction online community, and in the new COVID-19 category recently added to Museum Marketplace. If you’re looking for more ways to engage, scroll down to the last section on this page.
- A number of resources for small businesses are available through MARCUM and their Coronavirus resource center, including Paycheck Protection Program, SBA Loan Assistance, Business Interruption Claims, and the Main Street Lending Program.
- Deloitte posted a blog about The essence of resilient leadership: Business recovery from COVID-19 on business recovery for leaders.
- Financial relief programs for small businesses:
- Best Accounting Software has a list of US States’ Small Business Support Amid the Coronavirus Pandemic
- GoFundMe provides Tips for small business to surmount the current crisis.
- Syracuse.com published a Guide to federal small business loans: 9 expert tips on coronavirus relief funds
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has a State-by-State Guide to Coronavirus Financial Assistance
- Fast Company has several relevant resources, including:
- Forbes lists several funding relief options for small businesses.
Management and operations
- The Connecticut State government website has created a Small Business Reopening Resource Guide with employee training resources and examples of controls to help prevent the spread of the disease.
- This What Happens When We Return to the Workplace? article from Gensler has useful tips for eventually returning to the workplace.
- The International Facilities Management Association (IFMA) created a Pandemic Manual that covers a range of areas (staff, facilities, risk, food services) and helps facilities management professionals deal with safety and security before, during, and after a pandemic.
- The Society for Human Resource Management’s (SHRM) blog post on How to Practice COVID-19 Safety When Reopening Your Retail Business includes information on dealing with employee rights/claims, enforcing new policies, and acclimating to the new normal.
Scenario planning and future forecasting
- Elizabeth Merritt, from the Center for the Future of Museums, shares this downloadable PDF on Using Scenarios to Plan Your Museum COVID Response.
- McKinsey & Company’s article on Leadership in a crisis: Responding to the coronavirus outbreak and future challenges provides tips for leaders navigating uncertain times.
Centering Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion
- The Alliance has compiled a COVID-19 Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion Resource List to support the field in building awareness and capacity while driving action towards equity and inclusion.
Engaging with the Alliance
AAM is here for your company as we navigate the pandemic together. Click below for original resources, museum news, and ways to engage the field.
- For a broad range of resources applicable to museums and more, see our list of resources for the museum field
- Join Museum Marketplace and highlight your COVID-19 and reopening expertise and offers – we recently added a new and complimentary COVID-19 category – and Industry Members receive a complimentary listing or 25% discount on the enhanced listing. When you join/renew you’ll receive a coupon code
- Engage, answer questions, and network with museums on the Alliance Museum Junction online community
- Connect and collaborate with fellow members in AAM’s Professional Networks during COVID-19
- Read about how museums are navigating COVID-19 in the Alliance blog. Have a story to share? Submit your ideas here. Advertorials are available as well
- Renew or join AAM. Industry Members receive discounts and special offers, and stay abreast of museum news
- Attend and participate in the AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, our annual conference, to learn about the challenges currently facing museums and inform your solutions. Learn more about exhibiting and sponsorship. The next conference will be held in Boston, May 19 – 22, 2022
- Urge congress to provide economic relief and address the impact of COVID-19. Email us for advocacy alerts that help you contact your legislators and send a unified message
- Broaden your audience with advertising and/or sponsorship year-round
Questions? Contact CorporatePartnerships@aam-us.org.