Leading in times of crisis
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in unprecedented economic, social, and health-related challenges that require decisive and resilient leadership from museum directors and boards. In this section, find information for cultivating effective leadership practices and be inspired by examples of visionary leaders who have found ways to successfully navigate through these difficult times. The Alliance has also put together comprehensive information on how you can use your voice to advocate for museums, including the resources needed to let your legislators know the impact the pandemic has had on you and your institution, and how museums are continuing to serve the community even while closed.
COVID-19 Advocacy for Museums
There’s never been a more critical time to advocate for museums and your role in the field. The Alliance has been working hard to advocate for the museum field, and provide you the resources needed to let your legislators know the impact the pandemic has had on you and your museum, and how museums are continuing to serve the community even while closed. During this time over 40,000 messages have been sent to Congress over the Alliance’s online advocacy tools – messages that continue to be critical to securing important financial relief and resources for museums. Please use the information and links below to learn more about the Alliance’s advocacy for museums and ways you can advocate today.
Latest Alliance Advocacy Alert: Senate Letter Supporting $2 Billion for Museums Now Circulating – Ask Your Senators to Sign On Today!
Speak up for Museums:
- Urge your legislators to provide support for museums
- Find your legislators & their social media information
- Learn more about Financial Relief and Resources
- Download your state’s economic impact
- Access latest Alliance Advocacy Alerts
- Engage your board in advocacy
- Write a Letter to the Editor
Also Available: View the Alliance’s main Advocacy page, read posts from the Alliance blog, see TrendsWatch: Building Resilience in a Time of Crisis, and check out Speaking Up: Museum Advocacy in Action Toolkit
- The Alliance blog published:
- In Times Like These: Managing Museums Through Crises, by Christy S. Coleman, Executive Director, Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
- How Complexity Theory Can Help Decision-Making in Chaotic Times, by Jennifer Martin
- ArtNet News published an article about How Do You Start a New Job as a Museum Director When Your Institution Is Closed Indefinitely? Just Ask Laura Raicovich of the Leslie-Lohman Museum
- Boardable recently conducted a webinar on Effective and Engaging Virtual Board Meetings – What You Need to Know.
- A helpful blog post from BoardEffect covers “The Value of Virtual Board Meetings for a Nonprofit.
- BoardSource shares a number of useful blog posts and resources, including:
- The Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) shares these blog posts:
- Chief Learning Officer magazine published this article on Agile innovation in the face of COVID-19.
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy wrote an article on How Board Members Can Do the Most Good in the Pandemic.
- DEXIBIT released a new whitepaper that analyzes the impacts of COVID19 on visitor attractions (including museums), documents its response, & provides guidance on how to lead in these extreme circumstances.
- From Forbes, Leadership Never Stops: Six Tips For Carrying On During A Crisis.
- Ford Foundation president, Darren Walker, inspires us to stick together and calls for foundations to help provide operating support for nonprofits.
- Greenwich Leadership Partners shares a useful post on What Will You Do if Your Leader Falls Ill?
- Marcum, LLP‘s Kathy Raffa answers some questions about Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans and whether museums with large endowments must return the loan.
- McKinsey & Company’s article on Leadership in a crisis: Responding to the coronavirus outbreak and future challenges has a lot of useful information for leaders during this uncertainty.
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston‘s director wrote about My Life in the Age of COVID: MFA Director Matthew Teitelbaum.
- Nonprofit Quarterly has a section for boards and recently posted Voices from the Field: Tangible, Timely Tactics for Nonprofits during Crises.
- The University of San Diego shares 5 Things Every Nonprofit Board Should be Doing in Response to Recent Turmoil.