Collections Stewardship Assessment
The Collections Stewardship Assessment focuses on collections policies, planning, access and documentation within the context of the museum’s total operations. The scope of the assessment includes collections care and use, acquisitions and deaccessioning, legal, ethical, and safety issues, documentation, inventory, and emergency planning.
If applying for the Collections Stewardship Assessment, MAP staff strongly recommends that the museum has a collections management policy or draft ready before the site visit.
What should you expect from a Collections Stewardship Assessment?
Increase staff and/or governing authority’s knowledge about:
- Collections standards and professional practices
Improve alignment of:
- Collections with mission
- Collections with the institutional plan
Improve ability to:
- Write a collections plan
- Raise funds to support the collections
- improve collections stewardship
- Prioritize long-term collections management issues
- Develop/review/revise collections policies and procedures
- Manage risk
- Assess needs in the area of collections management staffing
- Assess needs in the area of facilities management
- Provide access to collections