MAP Online Application: Before You Get Started
Before You Get Started: Frequently Asked Questions
We strongly recommend working on a draft application using the PDF Sample Application ahead of time, and then copying and pasting the answers into the official online application when you are ready to submit the application. Why?
- Important instructions and detailed explanations are included in the PDF Sample Application version.
- The PDF Sample Application version of this application is available so that you can view all the application questions, gather data, and collect responses as needed from your colleagues ahead of time.
- This version allows you to skip around and fill in different sections of the application as you get the information.
- Click this link for the fillable PDF MAP Sample Application.
- Click this link for the Official Online MAP Application.
Can I begin the online application and then save it to work on later?
- Yes! At the bottom of each page you will find a “Save” button. By clicking this button, you will be able to save your information and receive a unique link to return to that page in the application later to finish it.
- Please note: you do not need to sign up with a JotForm account to save and continue. Click the link at the bottom of the pop up that will appear that says “skip create an account” and you’ll be prompted to enter your email address.
- Do not exit the application until after you’ve clicked the “Save” button each time you want to exit the application to ensure that your responses are saved each time. You’ll get an email with an updated link to use to return to the most recent page you’ve completed.
- Please note: online application data will only be saved for 90 days. After 90 days, the online data will automatically be deleted and you will need to start the online application over.
- And, remember, the online version only allows you to progress to the next page after you’ve completely answered all questions on the first page. There are 21 total pages.
Will I be able to have a copy of my completed online application for our records?
- Yes! You will be able to print and save this application on the final page.
- Depending on the assessment you’re applying for, not every question featured in the PDF sample application will appear on your online application. A few questions only appear based on your online response to a previous question.
What documents should I have on hand?
- On the final steps of this application you will be required to upload the following required documents. Please take time to collect these documents and supporting information ahead of the submission:
- Job descriptions and staffing list
- Please note: job descriptions are needed for the director and up to five positions responsible for the museum’s activities. These positions should be included in your staffing list and include the average number of hours per week each person works.
- Proof of Non-Profit Status
- Organizational Chart
- Letter from Parent Organization (if you are a museum with a parent organization)
- The MAP Application Signatures Page with original signatures from the Museum Director/CEO and Head of the Governing Authority. You can download a copy of the signatures page here.
- Job descriptions and staffing list
For more information on the required documents needed to submit your MAP application, please refer to page 19 of the PDF Sample Application.
Please note that this is a special cohort that will have a more limited number of spaces available than usual and site visits will be virtual only, based on the successful trial of this format during the COVID-19 pandemic. (In-person site visits will resume in 2023.) If qualified applications exceed slots available, museums will be put on a waiting list.
Any questions or concerns? Please reach out to MAP staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-289-9118.