Fostering Belonging Resources
Fostering belonging between cultures is an important part of community engagement.
- Audiences and Inclusion: A Primer for Cultivating More Inclusive Attitudes Among the Public
- Cultivating Contact: A Guide to Building Bridges and Meaningful Connections Between Groups
- Belonging Co-Creating Welcoming and Equitable Museums
- Bridging Divides, Creating Community: Arts, Culture, and Immigration
- Eight Keys to Bridging Our Differences
- In Anticipation of Belonging
Working with your communities to develop dialogues is an important step in ensuring a welcoming institution.
- Partners for Livable communities shares “Culture Connects All: Rethinking Audiences in Times of Demographic Change”
- These Museum magazine articles offer insights from the field:
- “Space for Civic Dialogue” shares one example of sharing dialogue with their community form the Walker Art Center
- “A Global Education for All” discusses an exhibition on Muslim culture and how the museum avoided potential backlash
Connecting with other cultures
Museums Connect was a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the American Alliance of Museums (AAM). Museums Connect paired museums in the United States with museums abroad for a cross-cultural exchange that brought people, especially youth, together through community projects addressing topics of local relevance.
- Museums Connect Evaluation Report
- Reflections on the Museums Connect Program and its Impact in Ukraine
Finding empathy for others helps museum staff understand the communities they set out to serve.
- A Mile in My Shoes: Closing the Empathy Deficit
- Abstract Art Concrete Goals (members only)
- Building Cultural Empathy
- The International Sites of Conscience has several resources for museums on engaging visitors in dialogues
Understanding the immigrant communities in your museum’s area can help build community engagement.
- Engaging and Empowering New Immigrants Through Art
- The Ever-Evolving American Identity a New Mission at the Tenement Museum
- Forging Deeper Connections
- Most Americans are Trapped in a History That They Do Not Understand
- Update on Empowering New Immigrants Through Art
- With Liberty and Justice for All
- With Their Subject Matter in the Crosshairs What Should Museums Do
- Migration Reshaping the World Migration Refugees and Forced Displacement
Welcoming America’s annual Welcoming Week festivities bring organizations and communities together including immigrants, refugees, and long-time residents to build strong connections and affirm the importance of welcoming and inclusive places in achieving collective prosperity.